NEW POSTS can be found at
Is there anything more exhausting than sitting by a patient's bedside at the hospital?!?!?! Okay, okay, sure, I guess it has been a BIT harder on hubby, but at least he's getting the good drugs! Ha ha!!! Fortunately they have really comfortable chairs in the patient rooms here at Western Baptist Hospital (Paducah, KY), so I did get a little bit of sleep last night. And, after changing his medicine, his pain is under control, so I think tonight he'll sleep much better which means I'll sleep better.
Johnny's surgeon, Brian Kern, is a FANTASTIC doctor and the nurses here have been WONDERFUL, especially Francis, Shannon, Debbie, Della, Amanda, Carol & Kristin. But of course, you know how men are, John's already getting antsy and is ready to go home. Tomorrow he will be discharged and then it will be time for "Nurse Joyce" to take over.
When we get home I think I'm going to make my adorable "Nurse Owl" cards to send the nurses and doctors a note of thanks for taking such good care of Johnny! (Maybe the lady that cleaned the room, too. She was really sweet and this room is spotless!) I first made the "Nurse Owl" card for my Mother when she was sick this summer. Everybody just loved it so now it's my "go-to" Get Well card. I think it's also perfect for a "Thank You" card to send to the nurses!
Here are the step-by-step directions:
- Cut a 5.5" x 8.5" piece of Real Red Card Stock (CS) (#102482) and score at 4.25" for card base. I love how easy it is to use the Simply Scored Scoring Tool (#122334) to score your cards.
- Use your Big Shot Die Cutting Machine (#113439) and the Perfect Polka Dots (#117335) embossing folder to emboss the card front.
- Run a 5.25" x 4.25" piece of Marina Mist CS (#119682) through the Big Shot using the Top Note Bigz die. (#113463) Don't you just love the detail around the edges of the Top Note?!?!
- Cut a 4.25" x 1" piece of Chocolate Chip CS (#102128). With the direct-to-paper method, use the edge of your Early Espresso Classic Stampin' Pad (#126974) to add "bark" details to the Chocolate Chip CS branch.
- Adhere CC-CS branch to the Top Note with your choice of adhesive. I like to use the Anywhere Glue Stick (#104045) for this step.
- Use your paper snips (#103579) to cut the ends of the Chocolate Chip CS to line up with Top Note edges then adhere the Top Note piece to the card front using Stampin' Dimensional foam dots. (#104430)
- Use the Bird Builder punch (#117191) for the Old Olive CS (# 100702) branches. I used Tombow Multipurpose Liquid Glue (#110755) to adhere the branches.
- Use Owl Builder punch (#118074) to punch owl body from Soft Suede CS (#115318). Also use the punch to cut 2 vests from Whisper White CS (#100730). Adhere 1 vest to the front of owl as shown. Flip the 2nd vest upside down and adhere it to the back of the owl's head. I found it's easiest to use the Tombow liquid glue to assemble the owl.
- The Real Red CS cross is made with the 4-petal flower from the Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack. (#118309) Use your paper snips to cut off the rounded edge as shown. Attach to hat with Tombow glue.
- The Daffodil Delight CS (# 119683) beak & the Real Red CS heart are also punched with the Owl Builder punch.
- The eyes are made with the medium & large circles from the Owl Punch. Large Circles:Whisper White CS, Medium Circles:Basic Black CS (#121045), Medium Circles:Marina Mist CS. I cut the MM-CS circles in half so it would look like the nurse had blue eye-shadow on. I used the Signo White Gel Pen (#105021) to add highlights on the black circles. Use Tombow to assemble.
- Once you have assembled the owl adhere it to the card front with Stampin' Dimensional foam dots.
- Punch the clouds out of Whisper White CS using the Cupcake Builder punch (#121807). Adhere the first cloud with your choice of adhesive, then layer the second one using Stampin' Dimensional foam dots.
- Emboss the flap of your Whisper White envelope (#107301) with the Perfect Polka Dot embossing folder.
- Smile when you think of the joy the recipient will feel when they open your adorable hand-made card!!!
Thanks so much for visiting me today! I hope you've been inspired to make a "Thank You" card for someone that went out of their way to take good care of you or someone you love! (And praying that you & your loved ones stay out of the hospital, but if you do have to go to the hospital, that you have doctors & nurses as great as the ones at Western Baptist Hospital.)
Peace, Love & Joy,
Peace, Love & Joy,